Newly Establishment of Artificial Antelligence concentration
Cultivate human resources capable of utilizing artificial intelligence technology in a variety of ways in the real world.
Artificial intelligence is one of the major areas of information science that has attracted attention since the mid-20th century.Since the beginning of the 21st century, artificial intelligence has become a fundamental technology that will revolutionize society, thanks to the combination of dramatic advances in deep learning theory, the ease of acquiring big data through the Internet, and the further acceleration of the speed and capacity of computer systems, including microprocessors. With natural language understanding, speech recognition, and image processing as core technologies, the scope of applications of artificial intelligence is expanding. There is no end to the list of applications, such as automatic translation, automatic driving of automobiles, medical information processing, robots for nursing care services, e-sports, corporate strategy planning, new agricultural management, and various other business applications. In the field of artificial intelligence established at our university, students learn the basic theory of artificial intelligence and related technologies, understand how they are utilized in the field of artificial intelligence applications through actual examples, and then aim to become experts who can utilize artificial intelligence technologies by becoming proficient in many artificial intelligence-related software. In addition, we are also preparing a program to train advanced engineers who can be responsible for the development of artificial intelligence applied software.
Target Career Paths
- Human resources with the "ability to live" in the coming artificial intelligence society
- Human resources who can utilize artificial intelligence technology in a variety of fields
Comments from Master Project Faculty
Professor, Shinji Tomita
Nowadays, it is said that basic theories such as mathematics are important for artificial intelligence. On the other hand, there are many students who are turned off by the mere mention of mathematics, and it would be a shame if they end up hating it when it has delicious fruits. I don't think that artificial intelligence will replace human beings in 2045, but I think it is an undeniable fact that artificial intelligence will revolutionize our society. It is necessary to accumulate the "power to live" in the artificial intelligence society. After studying and understanding the basic theories as necessary, we should first try to touch the technology of artificial intelligence, even if we forget the basic theories.
Comments from Master Project Faculty
Professor, Masaharu Imai
In order to realize Industry 4.0 and Society 5.0, and to build a human-centered society, three technologies are essential: artificial intelligence, IoT, and big data analysis. In particular, I believe that artificial intelligence will play an important role in our society as an assistant to humans in both business and daily life. Therefore, I would like students to acquire the ability to use artificial intelligence to solve a variety of problems and to develop applied programs using artificial intelligence.Python is the most popular programming language not only in the field of artificial intelligence but also in the fields of IoT and big data analysis. I suggest students to study Python as a tool to utilize AI technologies.
Examples of courses for different levels of learners
Acquire basic knowledge and basic skills in the use of artificial intelligence
- Computer Programming (Python)
- In order to utilize artificial intelligence applied software such as deep learning, the Python programming language is now widely used, and libraries are widely available.In addition to learning the basic programming techniques of Python, students will also learn the basics of the C and Java programming languages, which are capable of writing and processing complex data structures.
- Fundamentals of Artificial Intelligence
- In this course, a variety of artificial intelligence theories and techniques that have been researched and developed so far will be introduced, and how they are currently being applied in various fields will be outlined.In addition, ethics in the artificial intelligence society will be discussed and future prospects will be considered.
Artificial intelligence theory and applied software for the use of artificial intelligence
- Machine Learning
- The basic techniques of machine learning, "concept learning," which forms concepts to maximize the amount of information that can be acquired, "evolutionary computation methods," which mimic the evolutionary process of life and the behavior of social insects, and "three-layer neural networks and deep learning," which mimic the information processing of neurons in the brain, will be outlined.
- Combinatorial Optimization
- This course is a more advanced version of the first semester's Introduction to Algorithms, and deals with problems such as the Traveling Salesman Problem (a problem of finding a route to visit each city only once in the shortest distance given a large number of cities and roads connecting them), which has a large number of combinations and takes a great deal of time to obtain an optimal or near-optimal approximate solution. This course deals with problems where the number of combinations is huge and it takes a lot of time to obtain the optimal solution or a near-optimal approximation.
[Third and Forth semester]
Learn about real-world applications of artificial intelligence and application development
- Learning about applications of artificial intelligence in pattern recognition systems.
- In this course, artificial intelligence theories and techniques are explained in detail, including the processing methods used in real-world applications such as natural language processing, speech information processing, advanced medical informatics, robotics, IoT, and games.
- Learning about applications of artificial intelligence in business systems
- This course is designed to provide students with practical examples of how to formulate corporate strategies and create new industrial fields by utilizing big data in business, such as financial engineering (FinTech) and agricultural management.
Our presentation at the "ITU AI/ML in 5G Challenge" competition won the best domestic award.
A team of faculty members and students from our university who participated in the "ITU AI/ML in 5G Challenge" competition (held on November 11, 2020), which aims to solve real-world problems by applying machine learning to communication networks, made presentations at the competition and were selected as one of the top three teams in Japan and won the Grand Prize.Our team selected "Estimation of Network State by Video Analysis in Real-time Streaming Service" from the three themes presented by the competition, and estimated the network state (throughput and loss rate) by using machine learning in real time.This is a timely theme that can contribute to solving problems unique to modern society, which is experiencing extreme congestion as a result of the rapid increase in the use of Zoom and other webcam-based telework systems due to the global spread of the new coronavirus.Nowadays, computer networks are the lifeline of society, and this presentation proposes one of the ways to apply machine learning to future networks.This model has the potential to improve communication speed, communication delay, and the communication system itself, and is expected to be used in the future.